A little about my methodology versus Wahoosonfirst's.
They rank baserunners on a 1-5 scale and defenders on a 1-7 scale. That would be easy enough to accomplish with what we have available, etc, but I'm not good enough on excel to write a formula to spit out a ranking based on a comparison between the player in question and the average defensive player. Baserunning is the same thing. If someone wants to help out and figure out a way to automatically rank players from 1-7 using the average defensive ratings for each position, that would be awesome and I'll gladly add that information to my data. Same with baserunning.
The second thing is that their formula using plate appearances instead of ABs, but, unless I'm missing something, the only way to get Plate Appearances is to use either the League Leaders page or the Player Statistics page to grab it. I don't have the time or patience to pull that information for 400+ players manually, and the Player Statistics page doesn't list position, so again, ideas for building a better spreadsheet would be greatly appreciated. I have 402 players ranked, so if you want to know where a player currently ranks, let me know. Please let me know if you have any ideas at all. I am all ears on this.
With all that out of the way, here's the top 5.
Pos-Player (Team&Salary) -WAR-Value- Overperforming/Underperforming
- 2B Dante Nakajima (CSP/$9,750,000) - 7.4 - $10,528,042 - OVER $728,042
- SS Rigo Rosado (SYR/$9,400,000) - 6.9 - $9,866,670 - OVER $466,670
- RF Alex Blanco (OTT/$9,500,000) - 6.4 - $9,104,239 - UNDER $395,761
- SS Ollie Byrd (ROC/$2,500,000) - 5.9 - $8,353,967 - OVER $5,853,967
- 3B Ugueth Valentin (ROC/$343,000) - 5.5 - $7,741,961 - OVER $7,398,961